How to take advantage of the job market
Medical assistants play an important behind-the-scenes role in the healthcare industry. They serve as a link between patients and physicians. Although this is a new career designation in the industry, medical assistant programs expand every year. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that demand will be even higher in the coming years.
The increase in chronic diseases, aging populations, and advances in healthcare have all contributed to the growth of this field.
Seen in this light, the medical assistant profession offers many employment opportunities, flexibility, low-cost training, and room for improvement.
Read on to learn how to take advantage of the growing medical assistant training programs.
The Current State of the Medical Assistant Job Market
The job outlook for practicing and aspiring medical assistants looks promising. The demand for medical assistants is expected to grow by 18% between 2020 and 2030. This growth will be much higher than in other areas of healthcare.
The local Illinois medical assistant labor market is also experiencing a shortage of skilled workers. In 2022, there were 3,560 job openings in the Illinois medical assistant job market. The average pay for medical assistants in Illinois far surpasses the national average.
The medical assistant career field has an A rating for employability, a key indicator of rising demand. For example, the U.S. will need approximately 190,100 medical assistants in the next decade to meet demand. This number results from the 184,000 available positions and the retirement of about 6,100 current practitioners.
Medical assistants work in a variety of healthcare settings, such as physician’s offices, outpatient clinics, and as administrative assistants. Each of these sectors experiences a high demand for practitioners. Demand also varies by state, with California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Georgia witnessing the most growth.
How to Take Advantage of the Job Market for Medical Assistants in Rolling Meadows, IL
Despite the growing demand for medical assistants in the U.S., skills are still key. Aspiring medical assistants must have the necessary qualifications to enter the job market.
The most essential qualification in the job market is obtaining certification. Medical assistants are in direct contact with patients so state certification in Illinois is necessary to take advantage of the job market. You can improve your hireability by completing medical assistant training. This training also provides other benefits, such as:
- Improving your interpersonal communication.
- Exploring the administrative elements of the profession.
- Gaining confidence in your profession.
- Deepening your knowledge through advanced learning programs.
One key to taking advantage of the growing medical assistant job market is to pursue continuing education. This allows prospective medical assistant candidates to:
- Update their skills to meet current and future healthcare needs.
- Meet certification requirements.
- Learn effective medical management skills.
- Gain skills to improve patient care.
Advancement Opportunities for Medical Assistants
Completing one medical assistant program is not the end of a medical assistant’s training. There are many opportunities for advancement. Medical assistants should continue to invest in their own professional development. There are several ways medical assistants can improve their career opportunities, including by:
- Gaining work experience: This can help you learn more about the industry.
- Obtaining additional certifications: Additional certifications allow medical assistants to qualify for higher-level roles
- Exploring specialization: Medical assistants can focus on and advance in a specific area.
Further, choosing a career path allows medical assistants to build their administrative and development skills. It is always important to choose a path that matches your career preferences. Some of the career paths offered in medical assistant programs include:
- Healthcare Administration.
- Medical billing and coding.
- Healthcare management.
- Medical record and healthcare information management.
Other certifications required for medical assistants to move up the career ladder include:
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA): You must have your CMA certification and proven work experience as a medical assistant to get this certification.
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA): This certification shows that you are qualified to perform specialized administrative tasks.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA): This is the degree that professionals can earn in their first training program.
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA): This certification is administered by the National Healthcare Association (NHA) and provides training for performing medical and clinical duties. You need at least a year of on-the-job experience to earn this certification.
Enroll in a Medical Assistant Program at NWSC
Medical assistant programs are of high value in the healthcare industry. Medical assistants enhance efficient medical care by bridging the gap between patients and medical professionals. As a result, the demand for medical assistants is growing rapidly in the United States. Medical assistant degree programs in the Rolling Meadows, IL, area are experiencing high demand. This local sector is in dire need of professionals to fill open positions. Advanced healthcare practices, the increase in chronic diseases, and aging populations are all factors that are contributing to an increase in demand for medical assistants.
Medical assistants must equip themselves with the skills and knowledge necessary to take advantage of the market. As an accredited university, Northwest Suburban College (NWSC) in Rolling Meadows, IL, offers a high-quality medical assistant program. There are programs for dental assistants, pharmacy technicians, and medical assistants. New programs begin every month at NWSC.
Contact us for more information.